Best rifle scope under $1000 （Year 2018）
Riflescopes come in handy when long range shooting is your preference. Hunters interested in long range shooting typically need a very high-quality rifle scope capable of magnifying the view to pick out his target(s) without interference. Depending on the shooting you plan on doing, there’s usually a rifle scope perfect for your needs.
It can get tricky selecting the right rifle scope; now this is why we are here. If you are going to be splashing your cash on the best rifle scope under $1000, then you best consider several things including;
- What shooting range are you planning on tackling?
- What of scopes are available and which would fit my rifle?
Once you’ve carefully sorted those out, you can then look out for best rifle scope under $1000 which you feel best suits your needs. We’ve carefully reviewed five rifle scopes which are excellent quality and won’t be packing up on you. These scopes transmit light at long ranges and return crystal clear imagery of your target. Let’s take a look at them below.
Vortex Viper HST 6x – 24x 50mm
Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 Reticle 6-24x50mm
Sightron 10-50 x 60 SIII LR
Barra Hero MP 12-60X56 Tactical
Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm
1. Bushnell Elite Tactical G2 Reticle 6-24x50mm Rifle Scope
The Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm Riflescope is a premium tactical offering from Bushnell. This makes one of the perfect premium rifle scopes available with the optical excellence of this scope having its zoom varied from 6X magnification to 24X with a 50mm lens enabling ultra-clear magnification and strong light transmission. Interestingly, there’s an extended magnification range to reduce image decay for long range shots.
This Bushnell Elite Tactical scope is protected by Rain Guard HD coating which makes it rainproof. It’s also fog-proof as well as shockproof so can be used actively in all weather making it a marksman favorite.
The build quality of the Bushnell Elite rifle scope is something you would expect from very premium offerings, with impressive looking matte finish body.
The Bushnell Elite uses G2 Designated Marksman Reticle (DMR) which asides looking great can handle a lot of opposition from the wind, is designed for holdover and ranging thanks to the First Focal Plane (FPP) included.
Interestingly, there’s a side focus adjustable parallax to enable long range shooting to proceed accurately and inconvenience-free. The Bushnell Elite has a 1/10 Mil click value which translates to 0.36″ at 100 yards.
The Bushnell Elite 6-24 rifle scope has turrets which are very adjustable to give you the best shooting experience at long ranges without breaking a sweat, losing speed or accuracy. Also, it helps keep the view stable after a shot is fired.
- The riflescope uses high-tech technology to keep the elements out; Rain Guard HD coating and anti-fog technology.
- Easy to read and adjust
- Has magnification range of 6 to 24X as well as an objective lens measuring 50mm, thus offering long range magnification and superb brightness.
- A First Focal Plane (FFP) Reticle which is perfect for holdover, ranging and wind stopping.
- A parallax adjustment is setting with a 1 Mil click value on the side for more effective and adjustable marksmanship.
- It weighs about 1.7 pounds
Overall, the Bushnell 6-24x50mm offers great features for a considerable price. At just your budget, you get a sturdy, well-made, long range rifle scope which doesn’t blur out at its peak magnification offering you a more efficient scope for any serious marksman.
2. Barra Hero MP 12-60X56 Tactical Rifle Scope
The Barra Hero 12-60X rifle scope is a sturdily built high-quality scope made of aircraft-grade aluminum thus you can rest assured of the strength and toughness it brings. This 30mm tube has been purged of oxygen and filled with nitrogen. It’s also rigidly sealed making it fog-proof and waterproof making it an all weather rifle scope.
This tactical rifle scope from Barra is aimed at perfect precision shooting with the scope having zoom magnification range from 12X to 60X.
It features a side parallax adjustment as well as a fast focus eyepiece which lets users easily and quickly modify how the reticle should be, making it easy for focus on targets.
This scope is built to a multi-functional long distance shooting which would fit perfectly for use in hunting big games stealthily and high precision shooting competitions.
The Barra Hero MP scope would go well with major long range tactical rifles and other sniper rifles due to its versatility and convenience of use.
One of the Barra Hero riflescope selling points is the reticle. It uses the Mil-Dot reticle which is the US Army standard reticle – now you know why this is a premium scope. This Mil-Dot reticle lets the shooter calculate his shot by calculating distances, possibilities of wind drift and drop in bullet speed, and also determine by estimation the precise hold over needed for taking long range shots.
The lenses of this rifle scope are fully coated for effectively transmitting light (having about 95% light transmission per scope and 99.9% light transmission per layer). There are ergonomic turrets which allow for smooth adjustments without needing to reset.
- With scope magnification between 12X and 60X, you can see targets at very far distances (up to 600 yards away).
- Have ergonomic turrets for easy adjustment without the need to reset.
- The Mil-Dot reticle allows the scope to be used for more tactical shooting
- Filled with nitrogen while oxygen has been removed, the scope is sealed tight for an impressive fog-proof, waterproof performance
- The tube is made of aircraft grade aluminum which shows the strength and toughness it brings.
- It weighs about 2.9 pounds
Overall, the Barra Hero makes an excellent choice for long-range marksmen. From the high-quality ‘aircraft-grade’ aluminum material of the tube to the wide magnification range (12x to 60x), you get the best bang for your money with a premium, sleek looking rifle scope which is easy to read, adjust and offers you the choice to calculate your shot for precision-perfect shooting.
3. Vortex Viper HST 6x – 24x 50mm Riflescope
The Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm Riflescope is one premium optic from Vortex which is aimed at giving you pitch perfect visibility when you need it. This riflescope has a magnification power ranging from 6X to 24X which means you can zoom in from hundreds of yard for the perfect shot, making it a great accessory for long distance shooting and hunts.
The Vortex Viper has a 50mm objective lens which is pretty large and thus permits access to a large amount of light needed for an effective shot.
There’s a rotational stop which is customizable and helps the user to avoid excessive rotations below zero thereby preventing the loss of the zero when on the field or hunting ground and making significant adjustments.
This Vortex Viper HST (hunting, shooting, tactical) rifle scope is housed in a rigid, ultra-powerful aluminum tube of 30mm. The build process allows it to be easily maneuvered and adjusted, also allows a heightened travel level.
The Viper Vortex HST has an illuminated hash mark-based reticle that has several intensity settings with turret tucked away in the left-hand area of the rear lens, thus allowing easy adjustments without taking off your eyes from the target. The illumination of the reticle can be turned off without cycling through the several levels of intensity. Once you feel the level of intensity reached is ideal for lighting and would like to light the illumination, you can swiftly do so.
- Has scope with magnification ranging from 6x to 24x
- Features a forgiving eye box keeping the eyes relaxed and enables shooter(s) take quick, precise shots
- Built on a robust 30mm aluminum tube
- Perfect for hunting, shooting and tactical shooting (HST)
- Has elevation turrets and tactical windage made for easy dialing
- Features an illuminated reticle whose illumination can be easily turned off or on when needed
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Has a weight of 2.7 pounds
- Sharp and crisp images are always produced thanks to low dispersion glass which increases the image resolution and color strength.
Overall, the Vortex Viper HST is an all-in-one riflescope perfect for long range hunters and tactical shooters. It’s a worthy choice if you are considering a premium looking, sturdily built, multifunctional, powerful rifle scope at your budget.
4. Sightron 10-50 x 60 SIII LR Riflescope
This Sightron SIII rifle scope is a worthy mention on the list. Although slightly above the thousand mark, this long range (LR) riflescope was built to tackle the problems of readability experienced in several scopes.
The Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm has a main-tube of 30mm which is made from aircraft grade aluminum. The tube is very thick to ensure rigidity is at its peak and thus prevents falling apart unnecessarily.
Built to be waterproof and filled with nitrogen while oxygen is expelled to ensure the scope is fog-proof and an all-weather ready piece of gear.
The Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm Riflescope has a fast focus eye bell which lets the shooter stay focused on the target. The eye bell can be adjusted by turning the eye bell knob.
Also coming with Sightron’s ExacTrack elevation and windage adjustment system which lets you hit the target every time with precise and well-calculated shots. The ExacTrack which is one of the most performance oriented systems on the market makes it Sightron SIII Riflescope standout.
The Sightron SIII Riflescope comes with the popular ZACT-7 seven layers multi-coat and a pitch perfect ground glass.
The Sightron SIII, LR Riflescope, has target knobs which are large and oversize with a standard 1/8 inch adjustment. The target knobs are usually easily to get back to zero, and they are well protected by elevation caps and heavy windage.
Sightron LR riflescope has a side parallax focus which would help you focus no matter the yard length, from 10-40 yards to much higher yards depending on the model.
- Has lens which delivers high-level performance by allowing powerful light transmission
- The Sightron Riflescope comes with a lifetime warranty
- Has magnification range of 10x to 50x
- Built for long range shooting
- Features ExacTrack elevation and windage system
- It’s waterproof, shockproof and fog-proof with oxygen purged and Nitrogen filled scope
- It weighs about 2.5 pounds
Overall the Sightron 10-50x60mm Riflescope does what it promises with a tough scope built for all weather and serious outdoor use. The scope has a remarkably high-quality glass and retains the image quality even at 40x zoom. At just about a thousand bucks Sightron made this premium rifle scope worth checking out.
5. Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x50mm Riflescope
Leupold has been producing great optics for years now, and this VX-3i rifle scope doesn’t disappoint. This VX-3i has a magnification range of 6.5 to 20 mm perfect for a few hundred yards of outdoor shooting.
The Leupold VX-3i asides being pretty sleek looking is very impressive in functionalities. It uses an updated Twilight Max light management system to produce stunningly clear and bright visuals even when there’s little light like when in the shadows or at dusk.
The side focus on the Leupold VX rifle scope allows easy adjustments without needing to take your head off the gun, thus losing the target.
There’s a twin bias erector spring which helps keep the riflescope from recoiling on high-tech components. The best part is that the Leupold VX-3i riflescope is built to be durable, and an effective shooter.
- Has side focusing that doesn’t require you to take your head off the gun
- A modified Twilight Max management system sees that light is effectively managed
- Utilizes Diamond Coat two lens coating to keep the riflescope clear and durable
- Uses Argon/Krypton waterproofing
- Utilizes a twin bias system that helps adjust to high-tech loads
- It weighs about 1 pound.
Overall, the Leupold VX-3i is an impressively built riflescope with a very clear view. The magnification range of 6.5 to 20 makes it a good gear to pack along on your long range shooting missions. At its price, it’s no doubt it’s listed among our best rifle scope at your budget.
When looking for rifle scopes under $1000, you’ll be exposed to several options, but of course, the best quality rifle scopes are what you want to go for. You need to consider scopes which are precise, reliable and offer longevity of use.
Of course, you’ll be exposed to several good options and selecting the best would be a big task. This list, however, is a good place to start and while splashing about a thousand bucks on a rifle scope might seem very pricey; it’s worth it because a high-quality scope would continually score you points.